If you're on the lookout for the perfect large SUV to tackle the great Australian outdoors or simply to accommodate your growing family, you've come to the right place. We've compiled a list of the top 10 best large SUVs available in Australia for 2023.
1. Jaguar F-Pace
Ready for a luxurious ride? The 2023 Jaguar F-Pace is set to impress with its remarkable blend of style, performance, and innovation. Under the hood, you'll find a choice of two engines: a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder or a 3.0-litre inline-six, both paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
This versatile SUV is perfect for navigating winding roads and city streets with ease. Inside, you can expect a sumptuous cabin featuring premium materials and plenty of seating options for maximum comfort. On the outside, the F-Pace boasts a sleek, eye-catching design that sets it apart from its competitors.
- Good ground clearance for light off-roading
- Elegant and sporty design
- Impressive fuel economy for its class
- Not as quick as some of its rivals
- Acceleration may feel a bit sluggish compared to competitors
- Pricier than direct competitors
2. Ford Everest
The 2023 Ford Everest delivers a fantastic combination of ruggedness and sophistication. Powered by a 2.0L Panther Diesel engine – and paired with either a 6-speed or 10-speed automatic transmission, this capable SUV can handle any terrain with ease.
This 7-seat Family SUV makes weekend getaways and road trips a breeze. You'll be treated to a spacious and comfortable cabin and can enjoy a highly controlled driving experience while you’re at it. And with such great power and torque, you can seamlessly tow and transport whatever you need.
- Excellent and refined off-road capabilities
- Long list of standard inclusions
- Impressive towing capacity
- Third row space is limited
- Acceleration could be a bit more responsive
- High fuel consumption
3. Mazda CX-9
The standout quality of the Mazda CX-9 is its satisfying driving experience - it’s a big car that drives like a two-door. Thanks to its turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the vehicle is very driver-focused.
The CX-9's sleek, eye-catching design is complemented by a well-appointed interior that boasts ample space and luxurious materials. It has also been the IIHS’ Top Safety Pick for five years running. As well, if you’re not looking for too much room, you can enjoy the compact shape and a more upscale, premium interior.
- Turbocharged engine
- Luxurious and spacious cabin with timeless design
- Smooth handling and responsive performance
- Fuel efficiency may not be as competitive as some rivals
- Smaller cargo space for the class
- Slightly outdated infotainment system
4. Toyota Kluger GXL AWD
Of course, this list wouldn’t be complete without a Toyota SUV. With a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine and an 8-speed steady automatic transmission, you’re sure to get a smooth and reliable driving experience.
The well-rounded, city-focused Toyota Kluger comes equipped with a touchscreen infotainment system with a tactile UX. It's also loved for its spacious and comfortable interior with a variety of seating arrangements to accommodate the whole family.
- Light steering feel and smooth handling
- Spacious interior with flexible seating configurations
- Improved interior technology
- Interior is more practical than flashy
- Cramped third row
- Non-hybrid option isn’t as fuel efficient
5. Hyundai PALISADE
Hyundai describes the Palisade as a car with an interior that “thinks about everyone in every row.” With its sophisticated exterior design and upscale interior, the Palisade offers a premium driving experience that’s ideal for families.
This impressive SUV boasts a 3.8-litre V6 engine and an 8-speed automatic transmission, as well as an HTRAC All-Wheel Drive system to suit any driving condition. No matter what the moment calls for, the cabin space can be configured however you want - offering 2,447 L of total cargo capacity if needed.
- Luxurious with configurable seating arrangements
- Hyundai SmartSense safety features
- Huge cargo capacity
- Fuel efficiency could be better
- Doesn’t have as many off-roading upgrades as other SUVs
- Some road and engine noise may be noticeable in the cabin at higher speeds
6. Audi Q7
What’s especially impressive about the Audi Q7 is its towing capacity. With a capacity of 7,700lbs and an optional trailer hitch, it’s well-equipped to handle any towing need, whether it’s hauling a boat, caravan, or trailer. This makes it a versatile and practical choice for outdoor enthusiasts.
The Q7's sophisticated exterior design is matched by its plush, spacious interior, featuring top-quality materials and cutting-edge technology such as the Audi Virtual Cockpit and MMI infotainment system.
- Luxurious and roomy interior with advanced technology features
- Refined and powerful engine options
- SQ7 rapid acceleration
- Lacks some standard driver assist tech
- Third-row seating could be more spacious
- Compromised rear cargo space
7. Porsche Cayenne
This SUV offers a range of powerful engine options, including a base 3.0-litre turbocharged V6, a plug-in hybrid variant, and a range-topping 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 in the Turbo GT model, all mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. The result is an exhilarating driving experience that's unmatched in its class.
With its aggressive yet elegant exterior design inspired by Porsche's iconic sports car lineage, the Cayenne is a head-turner on the road. Inside, the cabin features state-of-the-art technology, like the 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system.
- Exceptional performance and handling with various engine options
- Premium, well-appointed interior with cutting-edge technology
- Distinctive and sporty exterior design
- Fuel efficiency may not be best-in-class, particularly for non-hybrid models
- Premium pricing compared to some competitors in the segment
- Cargo space might be limited
8. Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Grand Cherokee's distinctive exterior design showcases Jeep's iconic seven-slot grille and exudes a sense of adventure, all while boasting luxurious cabin features, premium materials, and an advanced Uconnect® 5 infotainment system.
Drivers can also enjoy a range of engine options, including a standard 3.6-litre Pentastar V6, an available 5.7-litre V8, and an optional plug-in hybrid 4xe powertrain - as well as planet-friendly engineering.
- Impressive off-road capabilities with various engine options
- Refined and comfortable interior with cutting-edge technology
- Iconic and rugged exterior design
- Fuel efficiency may not be as competitive as some rivals, particularly for non-hybrid models
- Cargo space could be more generous compared to competitors in its class
- Advanced safety features may only be available in higher trim levels
9. BMW iX
The BMW iX is an innovative, fully electric SUV powered by BMW's fifth-generation eDrive technology, offering two electric motors that deliver up to 516 horsepower and an estimated 300-mile range.
The iX boasts a striking exterior design that showcases the brand's avant-garde styling, while its minimalist, high-tech cabin features cutting-edge technology like the iDrive 8 infotainment system and a 14.9-inch touchscreen.
- Impressive performance and handling for an electric SUV
- Eco-friendly with a solid estimated range of 300 miles
- State-of-the-art interior technology and design
- High price tag compared to some competitors in the electric SUV market
- Polarizing exterior design may not appeal to everyone
- Charging infrastructure still growing, which may affect long-distance travel convenience
10. Aston Martin DBX
Immerse yourself in the world of luxury performance SUVs with the Aston Martin DBX. This exquisite vehicle is powered by a 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine, producing 542 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque, paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission.
With its elegant exterior design that incorporates Aston Martin's signature styling, the DBX is a true masterpiece on the road. The cabin is adorned with top-quality materials, featuring a 10.25-inch infotainment system and a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster.
- Exceptional performance and handling from a twin-turbo V8 engine
- Plush interior with cutting-edge technology
- Iconic and elegant exterior design
- Base model falls behind compared to rivals
- No touchscreen infotainment screen